Galapagos 2022: New requirements and protocols for entry to Islands
Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, Ecuador has continued to welcome travelers to the Galapagos Islands and the Ecuadorian mainland. As long as you meet all the Galapagos Covid entry requirements detailed in the following post, you can continue planning your trip to The Galapagos Islands.
If you need to get a Covid-19 PCR test before your return trip, you can do so on both Santa Cruz and San Cristobal Islands.
Before continuing, please note that the only airlines that are currently operating under this protocol for the Galapagos Islands are LATAM and AVIANCA and now a new airline called Aerorgional.
ISLAS GALÁPAGOS VIDEO – PLAYLIST
Below I’m going to leave you important information about current entry requirements so that you can plan your trip to these enchanted islands in 2022. It’s time to contact your desired hotel and book a day tour or cruise to the Galapagos Islands.
PROTOCOL FOR TRAVELERS ENTERING THE GALAPAGOS ISLANDS:
These are the new Galapagos Covid entry requirements, effective from December 1, 2021. Note that the Ecuadorian government may adjust these at any moment. You can count on the information here being updated.
- Travelers must wear a mask at all times in the airports.
- All passengers over 16 that enter Ecuador, whether they are foreigners or nationals, must present a complete COVID-19 vaccination certificate that is valid for at least 14 days since the last vaccine.
- Children between 2 and 16 must present a negative RT-PCR result performed 72 hours prior to boarding your plane to the Galapagos Islands.
- If you wish to get a RT-PCR test in Ecuador, you must do so at one of the Health Ministry-certified labs in Guayaquil, Quito or the Galapagos Islands.
- All foreign tourists are required to have health insurance, though I’ve been told that it isn’t always requested at the airport. I recommend you get one that also covers trip cancellation so that, in the case of cancellation, you are reimbursed for lost trips and tours.
- At the airport, you will be required to fill in the form “Traveler’s Declaration of Health,” indicating your place of residence/accommodation while on the Ecuadorian mainland as well as in the Galapagos.
☎ ADVICE FOR RESERVING YOUR HOTEL
You no longer need a safe conduct to enter the Galapagos Islands. I recommend that you reserve your accommodation upon arrival at the Islands, UNLESS you are traveling during high season. You’ll find better deals/prices than those on Booking, Expedia or Airbnb.
DON’T MISS OUT ON A GALAPAGOS CRUISE!
After experiencing a global pandemia due to COVID-19 (coronavirus) we realized that an entire trip can change in just a matter of days and, when faced with an emergency away from home, our clients (travelers to the Galapagos) should have access to travelers’ assistance that actually helps and works in a time of crisis. From now on, we strongly suggest you purchase good health and travel insurance.